Monday 9 November 2009

First

Well I suppose I should start somewhere. Not entirely sure why I've created this blog, though I suppose I do have a few reasons.

In the past 12 months or so I have become increasingly interested in politics and technology, both of which fascinate me. I read a large amount of blogs, articles, and news websites and frequently post links to articles or blogs of interest. I initially did this by Facebook, but realised after raging to anyone who would listen about how Facebook irritates me that it was fairly hypocritical to moan about other people answering quizzes regarding their future, or which unknown celebrity they are, when I was spamming the news feed with links that the majority or my friends were uninterested in.

I decided to move my attention to Twitter which is currently more exclusive to my closer friends, those who tend to be interested in some of the subjects that I "tweet" about. This is working fairly well, however I am frequently frustrated with the limited characters and the fact that I cannot articulate my thoughts, but simply link to whatever piqued my interest.

Another reason that I have begun a blog is so that I can archive my thoughts and and the links that I post, without having to trawl through endless twitter or facebook pages. That way I can see how my opinions change over time, and potentially what events shape my opinions for better or worse.

The last reason, and maybe the most important reason that I will be "blogging" is that, as I have already mentioned, it will help me articulate my thoughts. I love to have informed debates with people about issues regarding a variety of things, yet although I have a basic knowledge of some of these issues, I often have only grazed the surface by reading somebody else's blog post. By making my own post regarding the issue it should help me formalise my thoughts into something coherent, and hopefully improve my ability to write logically and clearly.


"Blogger: Term used to describe anyone with enough time or narcissism to document every tedious bit of minutia filling their uneventful lives. Possibly the most annoying thing about bloggers is the sense of self-importance they get after even the most modest of publicity. Sometimes it takes as little as a referral on a more popular blogger's website to set the lesser blogger's ego into orbit."

A nice description from Maddox.

1 comment: